Tuesday 17 December 2013

Dem bones, dem bones, dem dry bones!

Greetings and welcome to a WFB update to my painting efforts.

I have been adding to my painted Tomb Kings, probably going to sell them. I already have quite a bit painted and decided to paint the rest and sell them on. I liked the army and spent some time converting them all (as you will see), but I am not really playing Warhammer at the moment. Focusing on SAGA instead (need to finish painting my Welsh and then finish building my Shiney Rus, which I am really looking forward to playing with).

Anyway, on with the miniatures!

First up, we have some Horse Archers. I have added a sort of tattered headscarf to these guys. Basically, in my army I have the regular standing professional soldiers and a contingent of auxiliary desert raiders. Obviously, these are desert raiders.

There are 10 in total. This is the first 5.



And the second lot of 5.


I posed them in (what I believe to be) animated desert raider poses. Both units have a leader type that is signalling his men and urging them forward while others whoop and jeer or hold their bows side-on.

I don't really see the Tomb kings as slow and ponderous like the Vampire Counts, where the skeletons and zombies are just animated bodies driven by the will of the Vampire/Necromancer. The lore for Tomb Kings says that they retain some of their personality in undeath and they are semi-autonomous.

Next, we have a Tomb Scorpion.
I converted this model to be bursting up from the sand (as it has that special rule). I had to chop half the model away, but the massacre is covered by sand.



I quite like the way this model turned out. Its a fairly static model and there is not a lot you can really do with it (without making it something totally different, but I wanted to really avoid massive radical changes - just opting to make each model more dynamic and life-like instead).

Next up is the Casket of Souls.



Whereas the desert raiders wear black cloth, all the regular army undead wear white as here. White, gold and bone are the main colours, which turquoise as a contrasting colour.
Incidentely, the guards' weapons are not original. I only got 1 sword in the box and I could not be bothered dealing with GW mail order to get another so I just used standard TK swords. I think they look fine.
Oh, this is the 'failcast' version of the casket - I prefer the weight and ease of the 'failcast' over the metal, if not for the holes and bubbles I had to fill... But it turned out just fine.

Finally, here is the Warsphinx.







I converted this model to be conducting its special stomp attack, and crushing the ground while it is at it. Again, its another fairly static model and this seemed a good way to bring it to life.
I really like this model and I am pleased how it turned out (its my favourite of the 'howdah-hammer' models, until the release the Wood Elf Tree-man House...).

I have lots more Tomb Kings to paint. I have a large unit of archers done (nearly at the photo-able stage, just finishing off a unit filler) and loads more converted and undercoated. And here they are...

 (A Hierotitan conversion)

 (Necropolis Knights - check out the champion's snake around the pillar!)

 (some Horsemen)

 (Classic chariots - these are desert raiders with headscarfs)

 (Chariots, including a Tomb King/Prince on chariot conversion)

 (Classic Skull Catapults - I actually prefer these models to the 'proper' one)

 (Priests - 1 normal, 1 from another range and 2 imperial wizard conversions)

(another large unit of archers with a unit filler - all my archers have kilts on. No, not Scottish ones...)

Once my other unit of archers is ready to be photographed (probably by tomorrow), I will do that and post it here.

See you in the next update.

No comments:

Post a Comment