Sunday 9 November 2014

Don't feed them after midnight...


Someone has been waiting for these pictures.

Allow me to explain. This someone is a friend of mine who, pleased with my work on the Von Drak set for Super Dungeon Explore, did me the honour of asking me to paint all his other figures for the game. I jumped at the chance. I enjoy painting. and I enjoy it even more when somebody else appreciates my miniatures.

So, without further ado, I present The Kobolds...



Rex is missing from this cast list, but will make an appaerence further down the page. I must admit, these were not the most enjoyable miniatures to paint of the set. You can really tell that they were early sculpts; the detail is not so sharp and the miniatures are not that interesting (with the notable exception of the flingers). They have a certain nasty charm, for sure, and I do like the miniatures. In hindsight, I would have given them purple skin; I think they might have popped a little more.

Having said that, there are things I like. Lets take a closer look:


The Gougers. Skin and toga, thats basically what they are. I like the nasty little grin these guys have as they are about to stick you with their spears before running off into the dark.

The Knuckleheads. I love the WWI style tin helmets these guys have on. It was suggested to me to do these in a bronze colour and I think it worked quite well. I have not quite got the hang of painting NMM on Super Dungeon figures yet (as mentioned in a previous blog, I tried on the Von Draks initially) and I need more practice, so I did straight up metalics.

The Ironscales. These guys are slabs of armour and look quite menacing. I went for a sort of bronze - silver - gold (priests have gold on them) for the metallics. I think these look ok, but maybe gold for these might have looked slightly better? I'm not sure.

I like these models. I think the...bandages? give them a unique look that stops them being mostly skin like the gougers. They also look deranged, which you need to be when chucking firebombs around!
My favourite of the kobold miniatures by far.

The Warrens spawn points. They have been painted basically following the art from the card. Functional.

Dragon Priests. I quite like these models; the hoods make them look interesting to me. I decided on the purple cloak as a contrast and them emulated this in the Egg Clutch spawner to tie these miniatures in.

I love Rex. The miniature looks like an action figure rather than a miniature and I like the asthetics of that. I painted him simply as the miniature is impressive on the board anyway. I did emphasise the muscles as the miniature is so big.

Rex photobombs himself...
So, there we have it, the Kobold Warren spawn point.

Next up, the Egg Clutch...













No comments:

Post a Comment