Tuesday 5 April 2016

Who's that trapping over my bridge?

I present the first half the the Mistmourn Coast warband: the Trolls.


I'm just going to say that these models are a good fantasy take on the classic Norwegian troll and I appreciate the style they went with here (particularly the tribal/native look) and I really like the way this warband turned out.
I chose to follow the art as the green skin/orange hair is a good contrast. As any of the yellow-based colours are a pain to paint, it actually took many coats and mixing to get the hair as bright as it is.

On with the close-ups.


The Tribal Stone I painted as a simple slab with simple glyphs, mostly following the art. The trolls were originally simple folk that were native to the Mistmourn Coast and have become twisted by the fae that moved here (led by Salt, see next update for them).


I love the pose of these Ghostfire Warriors, the raised shield and sword ready to strike to defend their homeland. 


The Spirit Walkers are the most primitive looking and so have the least metal (except jewellery) and most skin tone. The only thing I don't like on these models is the leaves; I would have preferred feathers to give more theme/contrast. I suppose I could have painted the leaves autumn brown, but that would clash with the gold colour too much. Que sera.


Finally, the Mistmourn Cheiftain. I do like his pose, it must be said. He does have the shock of orange hair behind his headdress, but I failed to take a pic from behind (not sure why...). The disc on his sword matches his warriors shields, which I did as a sun theme (as the tribal stone has a sun being worshipped); this all differs from the art but ties it all in thematically, in my humble opinion.

Salt and his boys will be posted later today when I have time.

See you in the next update.



No comments:

Post a Comment